IA Reads

Thursday, November 14, 2019

Day #1 at AASL19

We arrived in Louisville last night at 10:20pm after a full day of work.  The drive wasn't too bad and we did not run into any bad weather. I have to say that arriving at the convention center for registration and things starting afternoon, was a really nice, slow start to the day.  Day 2 and 3 will be way more intense - no doubt.



We walked through the IdeaLab which was totally packed (great for the presenters), wandered by the universities offering Library Science Degrees (woohoo Wayne State) and then got ready for the Opening General Session.
I got to participate in the parade of affiliates, which was/is a really fun idea.  That was something new for me.  I love that all the states get recognized and I feel that this is something special that AASL can offer because of how state school library organizations are able to participate at affiliate assemblies.
Finally, I have to say that Ellen Oh was a great choice to kick off the conference.  Her story was really moving and a good reminder for us to keep providing those books to students.  You never really know when you might match the perfect book for a reader at the right time in their life.  It might make all the difference in the world.
It is also quite the experience to be in the same room with 2000+ other school librarians.  A roomful of people who "get" what we all do.  I also love the idea of a social media squad.  I think we need to bring this idea to our state school library conference.  It would be really fun.  All in all, it was a great first day.  I'm sure tomorrow will be filled with learning.

1 comment:

freiraumprofis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.