IA Reads

Monday, February 26, 2018

Chemistry Lessons by Meredith Goldstein book review


I just finished Chemistry Lessons by Meredith Goldstein and it was a really fun read! I think some of my IB students will totally be able to identify with the main character, Maya. Maya is dealing with the death of her mother and her boyfriend breaking up with her. While Maya is visiting her aunts, she is asked if she has looked at her mom’s research. Maya has not, but she starts going through it when she gets home and finds that her mom had been doing research on manipulating pheromones to enhance human attraction. Maya wants to finish this research as a way to reconnect with her mom and to win her ex-boyfriend back. She enlists the help of Ann, her mom’s research assistant, and they try to recreate the experiment. Maya was not anticipating enlisting 2 other boys into her experiment, but they needed a control.

 I love that the setting of this book was on the campus of MIT and the surrounding city. I love the fact that Maya was a super smart science and math girl. She made geeky, cool. Not everyone gets to experience growing up in a university city with a mom who is a leader in her scientific field. As a reader, I was not expecting a romance story to take place in this setting. But the author totally pulled it off. The story was fun. The setting was realistic and so was the scientific process, even with the fictional love serum. There was emphasis on good friendship, a solid relationship with parents and working hard at school. I feel like there are a lot of students at my school who would really love this book. The dialogue was playful, with great scenes throughout the book. It’s a perfect escape for when you need to take a break from homework. I will definitely buy this book when it comes out for my school library.

This book needs a book trailer to promote it to students 😉

No comments: